Greetings peeps! Amber has been working on her latest cosplay and in her infinite generosity has done a breakdown of how she has created the shoes.
Without further ado, and in her own words, here is "Making Elsa's Shoes":
So I searched for ages to find a good
base shoe for Elsa, purchased the perfect pair and they were too small
and I couldn't find any more in my size! I ended up buying a pair with a
good heel height in the sale at a local shop and working from there. I
wanted to create a translucent frosted look without the shoes being
transparent (I have awful feet which usually rarely venture out of my Dr
Martens) This was my solution!
I picked a low heeled shoe with a nice matte finish fabric, this helped
all the later paintwork adhere properly and reduced the risk of
Next I cut out a huge chunk in the middle with leather scissors and a
stanley knife. I made the shapes soft as I find those toe and heel shoes
look freaky and I need a bit more support with my high instep.
Next I painted the cut sections with a little acrylic paint to seal them and
I filled in all the loose ugly bits with some Fimo Air Light which I
had. It is an extremely light air drying clay which is fabulous for a
whole range of uses.
Here you can see the detail where I smoothed out the join between the two cut sections. I could have just bought a pair that didn't have this section in but I was trying to keep costs down and was more concerned with how pointy the toes were and heel shape. Anyway!
Next I cut out my additional shapes out of leather. I referenced the official artwork and the concept art too. I actually preferred the shapes to the concept art so my shoes reflect that.
I used a contact adhesive meant for leather to attach the pieces to the shoes, I tried them on and checked for fit before glueing.
You can see the side detail here and how I also painted the whole lot with acrylic. I also spray painted the soles with silver paint at this point too.
Silver! Just a couple of coats of silver paint later and they are starting to take shape.
So here I used the old Fimo Air Light again and applied it to smooth the join along both the front and back edges. I left a little bit of the jagged edge in and gently tooled the surface with the end of a paintbrush sweeping from the toe backover.
I gave the shoes another coat of silver and then started layering on the acrylics. I blended a nice turquoise and applied that along with coats of white until I had a look I was happy with.
Here you can see the detail on the heels and that frosted effect.
Toe closeup! I added a very light mist of silver here to blend the colours a little.
And finally the most important stage! I wanted this translucent effect but needed something flexible. I had seem some lovely shoes online that someone had made using resin which were amazing but I haven't worked with it nor do I have the monies to try. So I pondered other transparent and translucent materials and came up with clear silicone. I have a great supplier nearby and picked up a couple of tubes of clear silicone for a couple of pound each. I still have one unused so you don't need much!
I squeezed a load of the clear silicone out onto a paper place and applied it with a brush, carefully applying it to all the surfaces of the shoe. I worked on the toe parts and heels separately so I didn't have too much silicone out at once.
When the first section was finished but still tacky I scattered on a little white glitter. It sticks great to the surface of the silicone and gives a lovely frosted finish.
And here they are!